Dywity lies on the route of Nicolaus Copernicus's business trips. The astronomer visited the current Dywity commune during his two stays in Olsztyn. He settled new settlers in ten local villages. In addition to Dywity, they were: Brąswałd, Kieźliny, Ługwałd, Myki, Pistki (near Spręcowo, it no longer exists), Słupy, Spręcowo, Zalbki (in 1517-1519) and Redykajny (in 1521).
The village of Dywity was first mentioned in preserved documents in 1354. It was located in 1366. The neo-Gothic church of St. Apostles Szymon and Juda Tadeusz, built in the years 1894-1897 on the site of a medieval temple (the lower floors of the tower are Gothic, from the fourteenth14th century). Another monument is the chapel with a bell tower from 1888. An astronomical observatory with a revolving cupola with a diameter of 3.8 m was built in the local primary school.
Dywity lies between the rivers Łyna and Wadąg, which is its tributary (earlier called the Warmian Pisa). This creates favorable conditions for kayaking. The jetties on the Łyna route - in Olsztyn, Brąswałd and Cerkiewnik (Kłódka) made kayaking more pleasant.