Nowe Miasto Lubawskie
The documents did not contain any records confirming Mikołaj Kopernik's stay in the Nowe Miasto Lubawskie. But it was undoubtely known to him.
This settlement was first mentioned in 1325. City rights were given to it in 1353. At that time it was surrounded by defensive walls with towers and three gates.
The most impressive preserved monument of the town is the Gothic parish church of St. Thomas the Apostle (1325-30). Fragments of the town’s walls with gate towers from the 14th century: the Lubawska Gate and Brodnicka Gate have also been preserved. The Franciscan monastery from the 17th century in Łąki Bratiańskie, which is part of the sanctuary called "Częstochowa of the North" or "Prussian Częstochowa" remains in ruins. Newer buildings which stand out are: the Town Hall (end of the 18th century) and the evangelical church (beginning of the 19th century). Today, instead of a church there is a cinema.
Nowe Miasto Lubawskie is located by the Drwęca River, which is a nature reserve along its entire length and which is also a popular kayaking route. Enthusiasts of kayaking also decide to go kayaking on the Wel River, which flows into Drwęca not far from the town.